- Replaced door handles.
- Replaced all rubber seals and weatherstripping around doors and windows.
- Replaced front hood handle and latch.
- Replaced gravel guards.
- Installed new running boards (Nutech).
- Installed new radio antenna in the antenna well in the left front fender.
- Thoroughly cleaned and painted underside of the car, including wheel wells.
- Installed locking gas cap.
- Replaced both bumpers and bumper brackets with new bolts (drilled out broken bolts).
- Installed new/used engine lid brackets.
- Replaced missing bolts in door strikers.
- Replaced the front apron.
- Replaced both front fenders and installed new beading.
- Replaced both headlight assemblies.
- Replaced both turn signal assemblies.
- Replaced the rear apron with a fiberglass one.
- Cleaned and painted underside of hood and engine lid.
- Replaced the horn.
- Completely stripped the paint from the car, down to the bare metal. Sanded with 120/180/220/320 sandpaper.
- Painted the car in pieces.(BMW "Cosmos Black Metallic," PPG #9949).
- Reassembled the car and installed new rubber around all of the windows and doors.
- Installed new "clip-on" engine lid seal.
- Replaced all four drums, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and all brake internals.
- Replaced the master cylinder, the brake fluid reservoir, and associated brake lines (bench bled the master cylinder).
- Replaced both brake light switches; repaired wiring and installed new boots.
- Adjusted the pushrod; bled and adjusted brakes.
- Replaced rubber brake lines with braided SS lines.
- Installed new dust plugs.
- Sanded and painted hand brake.
- Had a serious problem with pressurization of the brake system. Finally resolved by properly setting the length of the master cylinder push rod.
- Installed front disc brakes.
- Repaired rear license plate light and replaced lens.
- Replaced battery grounding strap.
- Repaired turn signals and horn.
- Replaced backup switch, in-line fuse, and all associated wiring.
- Replaced and adjusted taillight lenses.
- Replaced interior light fixture, door jam switches, and associated wiring.
- Replaced headlight switch.
- Reconnected wiring to the rear window defogger and installed new relay.
- Installed new battery tray, hold-down strap, and battery cover.
- Replaced alternator with new one having an internal voltage regulator.
- Rewired alternator with new wiring.
- Installed all new wiring in the engine compartment; clustered with cable ties.
- Refurbished windshield wiper motor and gear box; installed new/used wiper arm assembly with all new fittings.
- Installed new fuse box cover.
- Installed a "power block" in the engine compartment to organize the wiring.
- Installed a 25-amp fuse in the wire from the ignition switch.
- Installed new turn signal switch with horn contact.
- Replaced broken alternator pedestal with a high-quality VW original (used).
- Cleaned and painted oil filler and installed on new alternator pedestal.
- Installed new chrome alternator pulley and new drivebelt.
- Replaced oil strainer cover with one with a drain plug.
- Replaced muffler (GT Sports System); painted with high-temperature paint.
- Replaced oil cooler seals.
- Thoroughly cleaned and painted fan shroud and fan, including all internal components.
- Installed new cooling vane assemblies.
- Installed new thermostat.
- Replaced the engine compartment firewall insulation.
- Replaced engine and transmission rubber.
- Installed gaskets between pre-heater tube and muffler flanges.
- Installed new cylinder/heater box tin (bottom).
- Thoroughly cleaned and painted intake manifold and pre-heater tubes.
- Replaced rubber grommets in holes in firewall tin.
- Replaced numerous missing bolts in engine tin.
- Replaced the valve covers (aluminum). Later installed new stock (black) valve covers to help reduce operating temperature.
- Replaced the engine case, the crankshaft, and all of the bearings in the engine.
- Replaced the main oil seal.
- Installed new Chromaloy gland nut on the flywheel. Torqued to 275 ft-lbs.
- Installed a competition clutch disk and replaced the pressure plate.
- Installed new "Mexican-style" thermostat.
- Installed Type 2 engine seal.
- Installed new crankshaft pulley with degree markings.
- Installed new oil cooler.
- Rebuilt the engine (new pistons, cylinders, bearings, etc.) Upgraded to 1641cc.
- New 1641 pistons and cylinders.
- New dual-port heads.
- New camshaft (crankshaft was okay).
- New main bearings.
- New rod bearings.
- New pushrod tubes.
- Resurfaced flywheel.
- New alternator, strap and pulley.
- New fuel pump and pushrod.
- New clutch (Femco, by Sachs).
- New spark plug wires.
- New spark plugs (NGK B5HS).
- New heavy duty oil pump, pressure booster and sending switch.
- New miscellaneous seals and gaskets.
- 20W-50 motor oil.
- Front Suspension:
- Replaced McPherson struts.
- Replaced steering damper.
- Replaced control arm bushings, stabilizer arm bushings, and idler arm bushing.
- Replaced left and right tie rods and tie rod ends.
- Adjusted steering and front end alignment.
- Installed strut tower support bar.
- Front wheels balanced on the car; "out-of-round" corrected.
- Replaced universal joint shaft in the steering linkage.
- Replaced wires to automatic choke and idle solenoid.
- Replaced fuel pump and fuel filters (2); later removed filter between the fuel pump and the carburetor.
- Checked for intake manifold inleakage; found leak around throttle shaft.
- Replaced the carburetor with a new Bocar 34 PICT-3.
- Cleared interference between accelerator pump and alternator.
- Set the accelerator pump to maximum stroke.
- Installed small chrome louvered air cleaner (later wised up -- see below).
- Replaced accelerator cable.
- Replaced rubber portions of the fuel line.
- Cleaned and painted gas fill well and door; install new rubber stop.
- Cleaned out the rust and gunk under the gas tank and repainted.
- Cleaned and painted gas filler neck and installed new seal.
- Refurbished the fuel tank – cleaned it out thoroughly, sealed the inside, and painted the outside.
- Replaced all fuel tank vent lines, hose clamps and seals.
- Overhauled the carburetor and replaced the float needle valve.
- Installed a new stock air cleaner, with all hoses and vacuum lines properly attached.
- Five years after installing the new Bocar carburetor - replaced the carburetor again with a Pierburg 34PICT/3 model. Jets:
- Main jet - X130
- Idle - 55
- Air Correction - 80Z
- Three years later - air leakage again around the carburetor throttle shaft. Sent the carburetor to Keifernet (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be rebushed with brass bushings.
- Installed new intake manifold.
- Replaced the carburetor with a rebuilt German one (427-1 flange) from Keifernet.
- Heating/Cooling System:
- Cleared heater cable channels and installed new cables.
- Replaced fresh air hoses.
- Replaced the heater boxes and lever arm assemblies.
- Painted new heater boxes with high-temperature paint.
- Replaced left defroster plenum and defroster hose with new fittings.
- Replaced footwell vent flaps and control cables.
- Replaced Y-tubes under rear seat with a straight piece of flexible hot air tubing.
- Replaced hot air flexible couplings with insulated ones.
- Disassembled fan shroud and fan; cleaned and painted shroud and all fan components.
- Installed right and left rear deflector tins and other pieces of engine tin as needed.
- Replaced centrifugal advance ("009") distributor with new Single-Vacuum Dual Advance (SVDA) distributor.
- Installed new coil, distributor cap, points, condenser, spark plugs (NGK), spark plug wires.
- Installed Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) system.
- Installed Compu-Fire electronic ignition.
- Replaced the ignition switch.
- Installed new starter motor.
- Tuned completely.
- Replaced speedometer cable (routed properly) and grommet.
- Repaired odometer.
- Cleaned instrument cluster bezel; replaced the face; replaced lights.
- Installed VDO oil temperature gauge with oil relief plug sensor.
- Replaced door latch trim plates and finger guards.
- Replaced handbrake lever boot.
- Replaced driver’s seat bottom frame and springs.
- Replaced all seat padding and installed new upholstery.
- Installed new clips on front seat runner points.
- Installed inside and outside seat frame covers on both front seats.
- Replaced rear seat back pivot bolts.
- Installed new Formuling steering wheel.
- Replaced front and rear seat belts.
- Replaced sun visors.
- Installed new radio/tape deck and speakers in doors.
- Installed plastic piece around the fuse box and taped up wires.
- Installed new fuse box cover.
- Clean and painted underneath the rear seat and tied up wires.
- Installed soundproofing padding behind and under the rear seat.
- Thoroughly cleaned and painted interior floor pans.
- Installed new speaker kick panels.
- Installed new radio/tape deck with speakers in front kick panels.
- Installed new carpeting.
- Installed new dash cover.
- Cleaned and painted inside of trunk; installed new trunk liner and stow boxes.
- Restored windshield washer system.
- Prepared emergency road kit and placed it in the trunk.
- Cleaned out and painted fresh air box.
- Cleaned/painted/lubricated window regulators and door latch mechanisms.
- Installed more soundproofing behind the rear trim panels.
- Replaced the accelerator pedal and associated parts.
- Installed new door trim panels.
- Installed new center console.
- Wired radio so that it goes off when the key is turned off.
- Rear Suspension:
- Replaced rear shock absorbers.
- Cleaned and painted drive shafts.
- Rebuilt the transmission.
- Replaced the transmission mounts.
- Replaced shifter bushing and coupling.
- Replaced the shifter stop plate.
- Sanded and painted shift lever.
- Replaced the throw-out bearing.
- Installed competition clutch disc and pressure plate.
- Adjusted the clutch.
- Installed new Gene Berg shifter
- Installed street header.
- Installed "Hideaway" muffler.
- Removed header and muffler because of interference with right valve cover.
- Installed ceramic coated GT Sports muffler.
- Installed EMPI-style eight-spoke wheels (black with silver rims).
- Installed spinners.
- Enlarged spare tire well so spare would lie flat.
- Installed new 14mm x 1/2" studs in the brake drums and secured them with Loktite.
- Installed new front wheel bearings; packed and adjusted.