Capacitor (Condensor) Test
Condensors last a long time, but a defective condenser makes a huge difference in the spark voltage.
Here's a good snippet from an Aussie manual for testing the capacitor -
- Remove distributor cap.
- First, make sure the condensor is connected to the points properly.
- Turn crankshaft until the points are fully open (any cylinder).
- Disconnect the LT (green) wire from the coil.
- Connect a test lamp wire to the ignition coil terminal and the other lead to the distributor wire.
- Switch on the ignition. If the lamp lights, the condensor is grounded internally and must be replaced.
- Now reconnect the distributor wire to the coil.
- Pull the main high tension wire from the coil, and with the ignition on, turn the engine over. The spark should jump a 1/4 inch gap to earth. If it won't jump this distance, replace the condensor.
* * * *